Monday 19 November 2012

Spa Review - The Scarlet Hotel, Cornwall



Many of us are no longer seeing spas as nice places to splurge on a facial, but as stress-revealing sanctuaries where we can indulge in mind-calming treatments, lose ourselves in much needed escapism and seek temporary refuge from our chaotic lives.

I have discovered my own stress-busting haven called the Scarlet - a luxurious eco-spa hotel in Cornwall. With its stylish décor, natural reed-cleansed pool and vibrant red (wood fuelled) hot tubs overlooking the sea, this place calms the mind and ignites euphoric moods.

oooh fiiiish!

Treatments at the Scarlet are called ‘journeys’, use natural products and are four hours long to allow for optimum unwinding.

My bespoke journey was determined after I had completed an Ayurvedic consultation form. My answers made it clear to my lovely therapist Rachel that I needed to seriously de-stress.

Before my treatment, I was shown to an inviting relaxation room for a spot of some much needed meditation to clear my troubled mind and erase the unwanted stress of the city.


oh yeeeeeah

My journey began with a cliff-top seaweed bath, shared with one of my favourite people. We laughed as we frolicked happily, forgetting the five hour car journey we had endured, and smirked when we squeezed the organic seaweed, smearing the resulting antioxidant-rich green liquid on our faces, looking like a pair of contented aliens.


The best location for hot tubs - ever


In the treatment room after ten minutes of guided meditation, I succumbed to a blissful massage. I find it difficult to ‘let go’ during massages, yet at the Scarlet, under expert hands, I found it easy to drift off and rid my body of lingering stress.

An Ayurvedic pummelling technique was also used, where crushed herbs encased in a muslin cloth were heated and used to apply therapeutic oils to my weary limbs.

Ground herbs, including circulation-boosting gotu kola, were then vigorously rubbed over my body. As well as exfoliating the skin, the sensation was highly invigorating and seemed an apt way of rousing me from my relaxation-induced coma as my journey finally came to an end.

Our beautiful room with a massive shower and rather opulent bathtub

After this much needed holistic pamper session I made my way to The Scarlet's stunning restaurant with my lovely buddy Sara for some exciting feasting on locally sourced, organic food.

feed us

We marvelled at the glistening sea view and cursed ourselves for not booking a longer stay in this glorious place. 

The food was ridiculously good - fresh fish from local waters, seasonal, organic root vegetables, a merry combination of fine English cheeses and the best chocolate cake known to man.

mmm organic scallops of a succulent nature


The next day as we swam in the natural pool, overlooking a picturesque Cornish bay, we realised it would be difficult to tear ourselves away from this magical place that banishes 
uneasy thoughts and urban stress.


who needs Centre Parcs?


But begrudgingly we did....and returned to bustling city streets yearning for steamy seaweed baths and salty sea air.

No comments:

Post a Comment